Look, if you can’t be extra on your birthday when can you be?
So I turn 35 today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MEEEEEEE! I’ve always loved a birthday. It’s fair to say I’m a bit of a birthday diva. Despite getting older each year – or, actually, BECAUSE OF getting older each year – I believe birthdays are a thing to be celebrated. 35 years on this planet. And what a privilege that is.
Although 35 is no 40 it still feels like a bit of a milestone. Possibly because this is the first year in a few years that I’ve been SO excited about it. 35 years young! Still so much life to be lived and experiences to be grabbed!
I remember having a bit of a wobble before I turned 30, worrying that my life was over, I’d lived all the fun bits, I was too old to achieve anything of significance and all I had to look forward to was being consigned to the scrapheap. What a mood hoover.
But I think, as women, we are often sent this message. That we’re only worthy of space if we’re young. That as we get older we become more invisible. That we need to hide our marks of age – laughter lines, wrinkles, natural skin – and replace them with smoothed out surfaces that disguise the beautiful lives we’ve already lived. I’m not down for that.
So here are 35 things I know now I’m 35…
- Getting older is a privilege to be savoured, not something to be ashamed of.
- You can have as much fun aged 35 as you can aged 25 (etc).
- It’s OK to fail.
- But it’s not OK to give up.
- Being kind to yourself is the greatest gift you can give your heart, mind and body.
- The human heart has the capacity to love infinitely.
- A person’s self worth is not defined by their outward appearance.
- Diets suck.
- There is no such thing as perfect, only what’s perfect for YOU.
- You can’t win them all.
- When people put you down it often says more about them than it does about you.
- There is nothing more attractive than confidence and a sense of humour.
- Meditation is all well and good but sometimes a nice hot cup of tea will do just as good a job.
- Yoga is life.
- Running is life.
- Kitchen discos are life.
- The number on the scales does not equate to the happiness you feel inside.
- Weighing yourself daily does not bring happiness.
- Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours is one of the greatest albums ever made.
- You are never too old to try something new.
- Travel is food for the soul.
- Bralettes are the future. Especially if, like me, you’re not a fan of the bra.
- Once you love your body a whole new world of clothing possibilities opens up.
- You can’t be responsible for other people’s opinions of you.
- It’s cool to be kind. Kindness is often massively underrated.
- Hugs are really bloody brilliant.
- No matter how settled you are in life, you never know what’s around the corner.
- Reading is the greatest luxury that exists.
- Food is joy.
- So is wine.
- When people are unkind it often means they’re sad / angry / going through stuff we can’t see.
- Life does not begin when your body looks a certain way. Life begins NOW.
- The secret to a good potato salad is a mixture of mayo AND salad cream AND a splash of white wine vinegar.
- There is no shame in loving yourself and appreciating your unique brilliance.
- Halloumi is a very versatile cheese.