With travel, give your child endless opportunities to understand and learn about the whole world beyond the pages of books or the walls of a classroom. The trend of world school has been on the rise. The curriculum for world schooling is built on travel and experiences.
If you love traveling and want your kids to gain a quality education as you travel, World Schooling is the perfect choice for you. Every place you take your child to will become a classroom, teaching the child so much and giving him new perspectives.
Building a curriculum that supports the education of your child is no easy job. To help you curate the curriculum that makes your child outdo you academically, keep reading the blog!
A Comparison with Other Educational Approaches
There are different approaches to educating and preparing your child for their future endeavors. Let us briefly understand the different approaches that parents choose other than traditional schooling for their kids.
A few people believe that kids are not just bound to sit in a classroom to sit. As a part of homeschooling, unschooling emphasizes education directed by the child based on the child’s interests, curiosity, and natural inclination. With no burden of a predetermined curriculum, unschooling permits the child to explore his interests, passion, and organic learning.
Real-life experiences teach kids to learn on their own. To facilitate learning, parents can support learning by providing their kids with resources, opportunities, and guidance. The idea of unschooling is to acquire knowledge as a result of curiosity and motivation at one’s own pace.
In the educational approach of homeschooling, a child is taught at home, under the responsibility of his parents. Attending a traditional school and following a curriculum is overlooked. Homeschooling takes help from various resources like tutors, online textbooks, virtual classrooms, educational games, and other extracurricular activities that help in the holistic growth of the child. With homeschooling, there’s flexibility in curriculum and learning methods.
The learning pace of the child will be unique for every child, and homeschooling takes care of it. Homeschooling adds up as leverage for kids with special needs to make learning easy. Parents can easily tailor the educational approach in homeschooling to bring out the best in their children. Most of the time, parents build and follow a curriculum similar to that of a traditional school to homeschool their kids.
The approach of world schooling ensures that the child learns by traveling and exploring the world. Education and learning are imparted by experiential approach and real-life & educational opportunities a child experiences.
Families preferring world schooling often focus on exposing the child to various cultures, environments, and languages for learning and growth. The diversity of cultures and languages gives the child an opportunity to build a global perspective and develop important skills to master life.
Why Should You Choose World Schooling
World schooling renders unique opportunities for kids to explore and learn about the world. Most of the families that opt for world schooling share a desire to travel the world. This is not just about traveling but providing young minds with a wider platform to learn things from.
The learning process for kids becomes flexible and more efficient with a more tailored approach to world schooling. And it is not just restricted to travel, learning, and schooling but the family bonds get stronger as well.
Parents choose world parenting because immersing kids in different cultures and languages gives them a chance to gain knowledge through experiential learning. Education is global, broadening their opinions and views about the world. Traveling to new places puts the child away from his comfort zone, boosting his confidence, adaptability, and growth.
With world schooling, there is freedom to customize each lesson plan with respect to the needs of your child. For kids with special educational needs, the curriculum can be curated in a way that brings out the best in the child. World schooling also has the benefit of the freedom for kids to delve into their passions and interests.
Building a Curriculum for World Schooling
- The curriculum of travel schooling will be the cumulation of all the rich experiences of the child while traveling. Building a curriculum for your child can be a challenge. Ensuring the kid flourishes academically while he learns from exploring the world requires a parent’s dedication and passion.
- For developing a curriculum, the interests and learning styles of your child will crucially determine the course of your curriculum. Integrate what intrigues your child to motivate the kids to learn on their own without pestering them a lot to study. When you curate a curriculum for world schooling, it is important to know what your goals are. Are you seeking the personal development of your child, or do you want your child to excel academically? Your goals will define what the best curriculum is.
- When you put together resources for the curriculum, explore all the options. Textbooks, online courses, videos, websites, and learning materials are a few popular, reliable sources parents rely on for travel schooling. Research all the resources available to give the best to your child. What subjects you want to integrate with the education for your child also plays a crucial role in determining what sources are the best for you. For History, world travel alone can help kids enrich their knowledge. Meanwhile, for science, learning materials can make learning fun.
- Once you have selected the right study materials, make a schedule for your child. The schedule must be flexible, not burning the kid with too much to learn in a single session. Integrate extracurricular activities for your child for holistic development. Practical life skills are also important in the curriculum. Add life skills like financial literacy, cooking, household chores, and gardening to refine the curriculum. The last step is to set milestones for learning and tracking the progress & success of travel schooling.
Tips for Building the Perfect Curriculum for Your Kids
No curriculum for kids is perfect; every schedule you curate for your child will have a flaw. But that should not discourage you from going to any lengths that will help in building a curriculum that is close to perfect. Here are some tips for you to make a curriculum for your child so that all he does is excel!
- Prior to you start your travel journey that educates your child, research the educational policies and requirements in your region. Your curriculum must cover the core subjects during the child’s travel.
- Integrate real-life experiences for your kid to gain practical knowledge. Choose activities during the trip to enhance the learning experience for your kids. Include visiting museums, art galleries, science exhibitions, historical sites, local markets, and natural reserves in your travel.
- Pick destinations for world schooling wisely. It is not another holiday, but a trip that will teach the kids. Budget is one factor that makes choosing the right destination crucial. But select destinations that have great things for educating the kids.
- Before you start building a curriculum for your child, learn what your child’s educational requirements are. Choose education programs carefully that will be to your child’s best benefit.
- When structuring a curriculum for your child, make it flexible. The curriculum must have ample time for the kids to explore, learn, and rest.
- Make enough space for core subjects in the schedule so that your child has a strong academic foundation for his future. Subjects like Math, Science, Mental Maths, Language Arts, and Social Science are a must in the curriculum. At the same time, leverage the learning by taking natural inspiration to learn from nature in subjects like Geography, Ecology, and Environmental Science.
- Track the performance of your child during your travel and learn. Keep records and maintain and track your child’s progress.
How to Finance World Schooling
- World schooling involves traveling to new places, with costs of trips, food, fun activities, and stay, making it an expensive alternative to traditional schooling. With careful financial planning, you can easily afford world schooling for your kids. To start by budgeting world schooling for your kids, prepare an outline for all the expenses. This way, you will get an approximate figure of how much money you will spend.
- Savings can be really helpful for parents planning world schooling for their kids. Start by limiting your expenses and spending only on necessities. Rent your property to add additional financial support. Start building an online business for the feasibility of remote work, or you can join job profiles that permit remote working.
- To cut down the costs, participate in exchange programs. There are a few sponsorships and scholarships that you can avail of for world schooling to make it easier for you. Use your skill set to find work in places you visit. Look for local short-term work that aligns with your skills. Making money while you travel with social media is another great way to help with the expenses of world schooling. Write blog posts, share content on social media, or start a YouTube channel to generate passive income.
Facts You Must Know Before You World School Your Kids
1. World Schooling is Not a Lot of Money
World schooling is assumed to be an expensive approach to education. But in reality, it can be incorporated into your child’s life in a very affordable manner. Travel in the world schooling is not mandatory, which can save a lot of money.
The concept is to make the children learn from experiences. For your child to get their hands on experiential learning, traveling miles away from home is not necessary. Additionally, there are budget-friendly ways to cut down the costs of world schooling.
2. Learning Opportunities with Online Tools
Technology has made world schooling way easier. Solely depending on online courses and learning might not serve the purpose of experiential learning, but integrating it with the wonders of travel can enhance what your child is learning.
With virtual learning and classes, a kid can learn anything towards which the child has an inclination. Outschool and Homer are two credible virtual learning programs to consider for efficient learning of your kids. Galileo XP is one of the online communities dedicated to enhancing the learning of children.
3. Build Deeper Connections with The Family
Traveling together, creating experiences and memories, helps the family members to connect on a deeper level. World schooling your kids means sharing experiences that add value to your child’s life. This helps to foster deeper connections with your family.
4. Attaining Multicultural Awareness
Families that promote kids’ learning by traveling the world help the kids to understand the political, social, and cultural aspects of different communities. With travel, a child gets exposure to different cultures that helps him to get over a biased mind frame. The exposure also will ensure that kids have opinions of their own rather than following the trail of generic stereotypes.
5. Learning Happens Both Before & After the Travel
The concept of world schooling is gaining knowledge as you travel. Getting to new places, learning and understanding different cultures, along with a curriculum built by parents, has a lot for kids to learn. However learning is not just restricted to the traveling duration of the family. Even when a trip ends, parents can help the child to reflect and learn from their experiences through discussions, books, or activities for children.
6. What is the Right Age to Begin World Schooling
Parents can start world-schooling their kids whenever they want. There is no right age for kids to start exploring the world as they travel. However, approaches and strategies for teaching your kids will greatly vary with their age.
For example, for young kids, learning with plays should be the focus rather than defining a structured schedule for learning. For elementary kids, hands-on experience is very important to grasp the basics and focus on physical activities.
Making the world your child’s classroom will help him to go beyond the limits set by traditional education approaches. If there’s a well-structured curriculum for kids as they learn from the places they travel, the kid will attain their true potential. The flexibility of learning with world traveling helps the child to explore his interests and strengthen his strengths.
Every educational approach has its loopholes and benefits. But no learning can be better than real-life experiences teaching young minds. The learning path integrated with all the places and activities will help your child to understand the world better.
Give us a chance to solve your queries by commenting below!